This year we have added the Jr. Whales Prep program for those swimmers that are new to swimming, still working on mastering all of the strokes, and who still need a little help swimming 25 yards. This group is part of the Killers Whales Swim team, but does not compete in meets. Swimmers can start in this group and move to regular team groups when they are ready.
Swimmers are encouraged to join us to work hard and have fun while learning freestyle, backstroke and other important swimming concepts! Over the course of the summer, swimmers will make huge strides in swimming with the goal of being able to swim both freestyle and backstroke legally, confidently and independently. If the swimmer would like, we encourage them to participate in a swim meet when they are ready! At any point during swim season, swimmers that are able to swim both freestyle and backstroke independently and legally are invited to move up to the swim team, if they like.
- Swimmers must be happy and comfortable in the water.
- Must be at least 4 years old and fully potty trained (and no longer in swim diapers)
- Must be able to travel relatively straight for at least 10-15 feet in any manner without putting feet down or holding onto the wall. Underwater, doggy paddle, kicking on back, etc. are all great.
- Must feel comfortable in water that is over their head.
- Must be able to follow directions
Jr. Whales will run from May 22 through July 17th. Practices will last 45 minutes and will be held Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday each week from 4:45-5:30PM (15 minutes of dry-land, 30 minutes of swimming). Jr. Whales will be on vacation on Monday, May 29 for Memorial Day and from Friday, June 30th-July 5 for Independence Day.